Betfair Footpad 40/1 to win Arkle Offer: Can the Mullins-Walsh partnership strike again in the Arkle on Tuesday 13th March 2018
With such illustrious recent winners as Sprinter Sacre, Douvan and Altior, the Arkle is one of the most sought-after and enjoyable races at the Cheltenham Festival. It’s the second race of the opening day of the Festival, running at 14.10, and this year’s renewal of just five runners looks almost like a two horse race between the 5/4 favourite Footpad and the 3/1 second favourite Saint Calvados.
Our money is on the Willie Mullins-trained Footpad to romp home to victory. If you agree, and you don’t already have a betting account with Betfair, you are in luck. The bookie is offering enhanced odds of 40/1 on Footpad to win the Arkle in 2018!
New Customers can get Footpad at an enhanced 40/1 to win the Arkle Chase. Max Stake £1. Winnings paid in free bets, valid for 7 days, only deposits with cards/Paypal count. Exchange and multiple bets excluded. T&C’s Apply. 18+|Gamble Aware.
Also check out our dedicated Cheltenham Betting Offers and Free Bets page as the bookie deals are flying in thick and fast!
Arkle Past Winners and Trends
Willie Mullins and Ruby Walsh combined to win the Arkle in 2015 with Un De Sceaux and the following year with Douvan. In 2017 it was Nicky Henderson who got back to winning ways with Altior. Henderson has saddled winners of this race a record six times – with the great Sprinter Sacre doing the business for him in 2012 and Simonsig following up in style a year later.
Here are some of the recent winners, jockeys and trainers:
• 2017 – Altior – jockey Nico de Boinville, trainer Nicky Henderson
• 2016 – Douvan – jockey Ruby Walsh, trainer Willie Mullins
• 2015 – Un de Sceaux – jockey Ruby Walsh, trainer Willie Mullins
• 2014 – Western Warhorse – jockey Tom Scudamore, trainer David Pipe
• 2013 – Simonsig – jockey Barry Geraghty, trainer Nicky Henderson
• 2012 – Sprinter Sacre – jockey Barry Geraghty, trainer Nicky Henderson
• 2011 – Captain Chris – jockey Richard Johnson, trainer Philip Hobbs
• 2010 – Sizing Europe – jockey Andrew Lynch, trainer Henry de Bromhead
• 2009 – Forpadydeplasterer – jockey Barry Geraghty, trainer Tom Cooper
• 2008 – Tidal Bay – jockey Denis O’Regan, trainer Howard Johnson
• 2007 – My Way de Solzen – jockey Robert Thornton, trainer Alan King
• 2006 – Voy Por Ustedes – jockey Robert Thornton, trainer Alan King
It is worth noting that seven of the last 11 winners of the Arkle have been seven year olds, though don’t let than put you off the six year old Footpad: Sprinter Sacre, Western Warhorse and Douvan all won as six year olds in the last six years.
Footpad was fourth in the Champion Hurdle at least year’s Cheltenham Festival but we feel he has what it takes to improve on that here. He looked brilliant when racing away from Petit Mouchoir to win by five lengths at Leopardstown in last month on soft ground, and anything like that kind of performance here should seem him take the victory.
Also check out our Betfair 100/1 Cheltenham Acca Offer, which also includes Footpad!