Cheltenham Gold Cup Tips and Betting Offers, Cheltenham Festival Day Four, Friday 15th March 2019
The Cheltenham Festival ends in climatic fashion on the Friday with the prestigious Cheltenham Gold Cup set to take centre stage. The three mile, two and a half furlong test dates back nearly a 100 years and it’s a race which has seen some of the finest chasers in racing history crowned champion.
Jump racing is blessed to have a race as magical as the Cheltenham Gold Cup. It’s the undisputed king of the entire National Hunt season, having a level of prestige that exceeds all others. Some true greats of racing have secured glory in the Grade 1 contest in the past and there are several formidable names gunning for glory this time around.
For the horse that can beat all the rest, they will pocket their connections over £350k following yet another increase of the race’s huge purse.
Cheltenham Gold Cup Chase Betting Tips and Free Bets
Odds correct at the time of writing and are subject to change.
Cheltenham Gold Cup 2019 Betting Offers
- PADDY POWER – 50/1 PRESENTING PERCY TO WIN GOLD CUP – New Customers can get Presenting Percy at an enhanced 50/1 to win Ryanair Chase. Max Stake £1. Winnings paid in free bets, valid for 7 days, only deposits with cards/Paypal count. Exchange and multiple bets excluded. T&C’s Apply. 18+|Gamble Aware.
- PADDY POWER – 80/1 CLAN DES OBEAUX TO WIN GOLD CUP – New Customers can get Clan Des Obeaux at an enhanced 80/1 to win Ryanair Chase. Max Stake £1. Winnings paid in free bets, valid for 7 days, only deposits with cards/Paypal count. Exchange and multiple bets excluded. T&C’s Apply. 18+|Gamble Aware.
- SPORTNATION – 50/1 PRESENTING PERCY TO WIN GOLD CUP – New customers only. Offer expires at the scheduled off time of the first race. Max stake £1 – on the #YourNation market. Bonus funds credited within 24 hours. Turnover requirement of 7x the bonus funds value within 30 days at the minimum odds of 1.6. 18+ only BeGambleaware.
- 888sport – 33/1 Presenting Percy to win the Gold Cup – New customers only • £10 minimum deposit using promo code “BOOST” required • Qualifying bet must be placed at the normal odds • max bet £5 • Extra winnings paid in FREE BETS and added within 72 hrs of qualifying bet settlement • Free bet stakes not included in bet returns • Free bets expire 7 days after credit • This offer may not be combined with any other offer • Deposit balance is available for withdrawal at any time • General deposit method,withdrawal restrictions & Full T&C’s apply
There are going to be plenty of massive betting offers popping up for the Gold Cup and we’ll post them here when they do. Note that all offers and promotions carry various terms and conditions, including that customers must be 18+. Please read the full T&C at the relevant betting site and please Gamble Responsibly.
- As we await big race-specific offers, see all available Cheltenham Offers and Bonuses.
Gold Cup Betting Tips and Race Preview 2019
Unrivalled in terms of prestige, the Cheltenham Gold Cup fully deserves its reputation as the Blue Riband of National Hunt racing. It stands as the most valuable non handicap race of the jump season, boasting a huge £625,000 purse. Sixteen horses will attempt to gain a biggest slice of the pie this year but only one will join the elite list of Gold Cup winners that includes the likes of Bobs Worth, Kauto Star and Best Mate.
Back to Back wins for Native?
It seems only fair to start by looking at reigning champion Native River (9/2, 888sport). Now nine-years-old, the Colin Tizzard trained horse still fits the age trend for this race although it’s been 15 years since a horse claimed back to back Gold Cup victories.
A rare double is not out of the question but you do have to wonder if the chestnut gelding is in peak shape. He was a long way behind Clan Des Obeaux and Thistlecrack in the King George and easily held off by Bristol De Mai in November’s Betfair Chase. This longer trip will be more to his liking but the ground may be a little firmer than ideal.
Conditions to play their part
Good to soft is the predicted going for Cheltenham’s showpiece event and this will certainly be of no concern to Clan Des Obeaux. It was on such ground that he secured a surprise, yet fully deserved, win in a competitive King George renewal and then again in the Denman Chase.
At the beginning of the season the seven-year-old wouldn’t have been in real Gold Cup contention but these two victories either side of the New Year have changed the picture dramatically. An in-form Paul Nicholls has worked his magic on the Sir Alex Ferguson owned horse who now looks the real deal.
Also finding himself at the top of the betting is Presenting Percy (4/1, bet365), a horse who’s prepared for the Gold Cup quite unusually. Rather than getting a couple of high grade chases under his belt, Patrick Kelly has handed his eight-year-old just one hurdles start this season.
He expectedly won the contest at Gowran Park but this did little to bolster his Gold Cup claims. The son of Sir Percy has successfully tackled the Cheltenham Fences before when winning last year’s RSA Chase but you are right to be concerned by his lack of recent chase experience.
Old Timers in with a shout?
We’ve not had a Gold Cup champion aged over nine since 1998 but that shouldn’t stop you having an each way tipple on Thistlecrack. The former World Hurdle champion rolled back the years with a fine display in the King Geroge on Boxing Day.
He had trouble jumping straight for Tom Scuadmore but showed far less caution than during the Betfair Chase. If further improvements can be made over the fences here, the veteran horse has the legs to make the frame this Friday.